Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Micachu & The Shapes @ Death By Audio


I am a bit embarrassed to admit that i finally made my first trip to Death By Audio. Embarrassed because I live extremely close and it took me this long to get over there but after all of the SXSW hype of Micachu & The Shapes it seemed like a perfect opportunity.

Glad we got there as early as we did (Around 10ish) because we were able to catch all three advertised bands.

Miracles of Modern Science started everything off with some upbeat pop music. I enjoyed the sound of all the string instruments and the interaction of all the band members. Even if you don't like the music they were wearing the 'Hole in the Wall' TV show costumes which automatically equals a thumbs up in my book.

Once the stage was stripped bare I sat there waiting for them to set up some new instruments or really do anything, but they didn't. After a while Anni Rossi walked out with just herself and her viola. She sounded really good and played the viola in a number of different ways to create a full and interesting sound. I kept thinking of Regina Spektor while she was playing because of the similar vocals.

Micachu & The Shapes walked in bundled up with their jackets and scarfs on. I assume they were a bit late and looked like they had run to the venue. I only heard a little bit of their music leading up to the show so i wasn't sure what to expect. Once the baby guitars were set up and the macbook was duct taped to the stand they got right in to it. I liked everything about it. From the obscurity of the instruments and sound that came out of them to the oddly coordinated t-shirts. The music was simple and some times chaotic but it all made sense. The guitar, keyboard, drums and vocals all complimented eachother to create a fun sound that had me smiling and bending my knees all night.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately I can't remember most of the time spent at Death by Audio but I do remember Anni Rossi being very impressive.

    Also the dudes at Zebulon were also starting a very interesting sound. Lots of good music last night!!! Too many rum drinks!

    ReplyDelete